8/16/2012

Where is your heart found?




Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23

Listening to your heart has always been an acceptable form of coming to a solution to a dilemma. Whether it be choosing between going to the dance with a certain boy or another, or facing a more life changing situation.
The heart, as it is regarded as the source of our emotions, it’s the resource we should confide in always…Or should it?

Having joined social media, including Facebook, Instagram and blogging, I have come to the realization that the importance of guarding our heart, especially for women whether young or older, is extremely vital. These social media outlets are flooding with its and bits of people’s lives, which more times than not, are portrayed as worry –free, fun, with a perfect marriage and easy going with material fulfillment. If we are not careful, our flesh will begin to focus on these things and begin looking down at our lives as if they are not complete. With the same token, someone’s constant negativity and pessimistic view on life, may deter away from our blessings, also feeling as our lives are missing pieces.
Recently, my daughter has become fascinated with a television show which showcases the lives of toddler girls participating in pageants. Throughout the thirty minute episode, frilly dresses, rhinestone clad tiaras, and pounds of makeup, is what the message of true beauty is being taught. During the commercials, she runs to my closet and puts on my high heels, walking out in her best pageant walk, while begging that I put make up on her.
It’s incredible what little things can influence a little girls’ heart, and any women’s heart at that.
Our heart is the wellspring of life. The kind of life we want to have, springs out from the wellbeing of our heart. My desire is to have a life full of joy whether it be in trials or in peaceful times. My desire is to be a respectful, loving wife to my husband and a caring, patient mother to my children.
When my emotions are being put through the wringer of stress, anxiety, and dissatisfaction, the life that will spring out of me to share with others will not be of blessing. Instead MY marriage will suffer from my discontent, my relationship will our children will suffer moments that could be spent making memories, and my self-esteem will drag through the floor.
Instead, I have to remember to guard my heart in the truth of the Lord. I will guard my heart and set it upon His promises that withstand time.
When I feel inadequate, I will cling on to knowing His grace is sufficient. When I feel alone and against the world, I will listen that He is always by my side. When my worries attack me, I will be assured that He is my provider and my fortress.  I will guard my heart inside the palm of His hand. I will guard it against any influence that tries to pull me away from my identity that I have in Him. 
In that way, when I come upon any situation, listening to my heart, will mean listening to the Author of my life.

No comments: