5/25/2011

18, Naive But Willing To Commit

Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.” Proverbs 16:3 (AMP)

Commit your way to the Lord [roll and repose each care of your load on Him]; trust (lean on, rely on, and be

confident) also in Him and He will bring it to pass.” Psalm 37:5 (AMP)


I remember being eighteen and wanting so badly to marry my boyfriend at the time; my husband today. However, my parents, like most parents, thought we were too young and thought I needed to pursue a career before I could I pursue a marriage. When you are eighteen and in love, everything seems so easy, as if you could reach the top of Mount Everest within minutes. You feel so wise as if all that your parents are saying are just tactics to make you re-think your plans. I actually thought I had it all together when I sat down at the table, ready to present a spreadsheet to my dad of both my husband and mine income, expenses we would have and the grand total we would have left over every month. “We will have at least, three-hundred dollars left over each week to spend on groceries and gas and stuff we crave, dad!” I argued. He knowing more than I, grinned and said, “Not now, let’s give it some more time.”







I prayed every day, took as many classes at school as I could and committed my plans to God, believing that if I


did so, they would come to pass. I turned 19, 20, and finally at 21, I got married. My notebook filled of pen-written-plans, did not play out like I had planned. In fact, those three hundred dollars that were to be left over were actually so desperately needed to make ends meet. But I was married, I was happy, my dreams were accomplished, maybe not all, but those most important were. Did the plans I committed to God, establish because of my obedience to this promise? Kinda. I believe that when I started committing (def:to put into charge or trust) my plans, dreams, and hopes to God at age 18, my dad was not the only one grinning, and saying, “Not now, let’s give it some more time,” God was too. See because committing your plans to God is not telling Him that you are going to do them, rather it is asking Him, to review your “spreadsheet,” asking Him to edit any typos, asking Him to look over that rough draft and make it into the final draft. It is waiting till He hands it back to you, whether it is a year or 3 years from now, like it was for me. It is like the amplified version of Proverbs 16:3 says, [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.”
Did you grasp that? He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will! At age 18, I cried, I stomped my feet, I could no longer wait not even one more week to be married, but when I prayed, when I handed the Master of my life, my plans, He caused my thoughts to become agreeable to His will. And that my friends, was the most amazing plan ever.










Father, whatever plans we have, grab our hands, and take us to a quiet place, where we can kneel down, and commit them to you. Trusting, that the changes you make, will be the changes we will be ecstatic over. God, help us hear from you so we can know when it is the right time to put forth these plans. In your name we pray, Amen

No comments: