5/18/2011

Throwing a Pity Party

"Therefor thus says the Lord [to Jeremiah]: If you return [and give up this mistaken tone of distrust and despair], then I will give you again a settled place of quiet and safety, and you will be My minister; and if you separate the precious from the vile [cleansing your own heart from unworthy and unwarranted suspicions concerning God's faithfulness], you shall be My mouthpiece. [But do not yield to them.] Let them return to you--not you to [the people]." Jeremiah 15:19

Can I tell you a secret? I enjoy attention. No, not attention from people, attention from God. He knows it very well too. I am constantly wanting and needing His eyes, His ears, and His words directed straight towards me. Call me a drama queen, but when dark, gray clouds position themselves above my head and follow me wherever I go, I make sure God knows, that's not fair, with pouty lips and all. I do not actually utter the words, "It's not fair, but through my non-stop tears, upset and even angry thoughts I never speak out to Him, or the sarcastic replies I give to family and friends when they say, "God will answer soon," or "He has a purpose," all show God I am believing this difficult trial or situation to be unfair!

To be honest, sometimes I feel that if I cry louder or cry for a really long time, then He will relent and position bright clouds, flowers and a shiny bright sun above my head, instead.

Jeremiah the prophet is known as, "The weeping prophet." What is really striking about this nick name, is that his name, Yirməyahu, in Hebrew, really means, "Yahweh Exalts!" In the book of Jeremiah however, we find what seems like the opposite is happening. Jeremiah was beaten, threatened, and hated for preaching to a nation who had forgotten God's laws. His duty was to turn this nation back to God and have them repent. But God was exalting Him. He was God's mouthpiece, what a privilege, however, like me, the pain got a hold of him and we hear him complain and even question God's faithfulness in Jeremiah 15: 15-18. He is doubting if God is really a merciful God and throws a pity party for himself in front of almighty Yahweh.

He achieves getting God's attention and God's conversation shifts from telling Israel to repent to telling Jeremiah to repent. God is upset at Jeremiah for his tone of distrust and despair. His unworthy suspicions towards God's faithfulness, shows the people changing Jeremiah instead of the other way around.
Are you getting this? Wow, Today God is not only pointing the finger to an ungodly nation, but to a people, like you and I, who are meant to draw people back to God's heart thru our actions, thoughts, and heart. He is wanting us to stop whining about our unfair circumstances and remember how these trials are for His divine purpose! He wants us to stop questioning His faithfulness, and like always, our amazing Father, promises a reward. If we would keep from doubting and being in despair, he will give us a settled place of quiet and safety! Is that not true my friend? The times that we've let go and trusted God with our problems, we find ourselves in a settled place of safety and quiet. And when in a gloomy day if a ungodly friend asks "what if God won't ever answer you?", don't give in to their thoughts;draw them instead to the truth. The truth that proclaims that God is a God who never forsakes the righteous!

PRAYER

Father, I repent, I repent for doubting and allowing myself to drift from green pastures to crashing waves if confusion and fear. Help me to stay in this settled place for as long as these trials last. Amen.

1 comment:

Cindy @ Cinsarah said...

I love this!
I have thrown myself plenty of pity parties!
Thanks so much for this and all your devotionals!
May God continue speaking through you! :)