7/08/2011

A Humble Heart

'The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart.' 1 Samuel 16:7


Her husband had left her. She had no profession, no riches, no fancy clothes, no more than a block of cheese in her fridge at times to feed her kids with.
Many probably wouldn't have given her a second look, as nothing extraordinary stood out. Her outdated clothing hid from others the treasure that God saw inside:

Humility.

How do is humility displayed?

Serving others, being hospitable, showing forgiveness - all these are examples. However, examples that are seen also by man. What could possibly then be humility only seen by Him?

Driving home one day worried out of my mind, I understood it.
In the middle of my racing thoughts of different and fast solutions to my dilemma, God stepped in and said"
'Humble yourself before me and watch me deliver you once again.'

I hadn't realized that in my worrying and seeking answers with my own strenght, I was dimming the light on Him. Trying to sway His will with my endless 'why's', belittled the fact that He's always in control.

That abandoned woman and King David had one thing in common, They both humbled their pride, and earthly ambitions before the Lord in situations others might've feared. They recognized that He is who was, is, and is to come. They held on to Hid promises of being their refuge and source of strenght. In time of trouble, they fell face down and allowed His glory to shine around. They humbled their heart and everything that came with it before the King.

Friend, let's remember each and every day, that the Lord is worthy of our humbling before Him. He knows what is to come in our life, even when our path seems to be going south.
He has promised to give us a future and a hope. When we let our fears, ambitions, and pride down and humbly come before Him, He will lift us up.

Prayer

Dear God, each and everyday I have to thank you for always being my refuge. Even in the middle of a storm, I know you are near. Give me a spirit of humility so that my heart will always remember that you and noone else are my Creator, Protector, and King.

No comments: