10/04/2011

Changes

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

My four year old wowed me yesterday. He made a very mature decision for his age and I was very impressed. Last week, Sebastian's principle moved him to another classroom with a new teacher. According to the principle, it was to improve his communication skills and get him to get out of his shell. She said Sebastian was very shy and quite in his previous class and she thought it was due to the fact that this was Ms. Bussy's, his previous teachers, first year teaching Pre-K, and therefore taught at a very strict and rigorous level. However, she said, "Ms. Collins, has been a Pre-K teacher for years and is known to help shy kids, become more social and open up to the class more.

Sebastian hated the change! He cried all week hoping to get moved back to Ms. Bussy's class, however, that was not an option. I asked him all week if Ms. Collins did anything fun and asked what was he learning. His reply would always be, "she is not fun, and I learned nothing!"

At the end of the week the principle asked me if Sebastian was enjoying his new class and teacher. I told her no, in fact he cried every morning on our way to school, he wanted his old teacher back. She was surprised and said he could decided where to go and she would move him back if that was Sebastian's choice. All weekend he told my husband and I that he wanted Ms. Bussy back and did not wish to stay with Ms. Collins. Monday as we were headed to school and ready to talk to the principle about moving him back, out of nowhere, he said, "Okay, I'll stay with Ms. Collins!" I stopped and asked if that was what he truly wanted. He said yes, He explained that Ms. Collins was actually a lot of fun and she taught them with songs, and stories, and Ms. Bussy did not.

As I drove back home proud of how mature my son was becoming, I thought of how we, as adults hate change so badly. God acts like Sebastian's principle at times. He sees a better opportunity for us and decides to move us from where we were comfortable at. He knows it may take sometime for us to adapt, but knows all the benefits that will come out from this change. We all wish things could stay the same. We wish we could always stay at the same comfortable job with co-workers we've learned to work with, we wish our salaries never decreased and we could remain at least stable forever, we wish our kids remained innocent and little, we wish our place of worship never had any changes like new leaders, or problems, we wish our life could sail smoothly with never a change of direction. However the God who sees it all. The God who knows your yesterdays, your today, and your tomorrows, knows what is best for you. O but how we act like the four year old child who prefers to stay where it feels safest.

You know the changes you have been trying to avoid. You know what you have been ignoring and not wanting to make a leap for it. What is that change God has been trying for you to make in your life? Has he been nudging something for you to do differetnt with you children? With your job or career? With your ministry? With your dreams? With your time? With your money? What is it? Ask God to reveal it, He will. "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3 Be mature today like Sebastian and surrender your comfort zone and obey those gentle nudges He has been giving you. I like what Oswald Chambers say's, "When you agree and obey with God's puposes, He will bring not only your conscious life, but all the deeper regions of your life which you cannot get at, into harmony."

No comments: