10/12/2011

Labor of Love

I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love.
I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them. Hosea 11:4

My day had started at 5:45 am. It was 9:30 pm and I had still things to get done before heading for bed. My feet throbbed, begging for rest and my back felt like it was about to break.
The worst part of it all, is I knew the next day, I would have the same routine. How I wished for someone to take over!

It is the way of life for so many f us. Many hours of work and just enough rest to go at it again.

Not too many years ago, I sat crying desperately. My heart throbbed with pain from the many hours of work that had been put into something dear to me. It was a repeated routine day in and day out with just enough rest in between. I was beyond exhausted, confused, hurt, and overwhelmed. Many times I heard His voice, but refused to listen and the promise of peace that He offered. I refused to believe.

So many grow accustomed to the routine and the hurt that comes with it, because we refuse to believe that there could be anything different than what we've already tried.
We walk repeatedly in the heat with our sight downward, afraid to look up only to be disappointed that nothing could be different, and so we continue with our labor.

Oh, but if we were to only look up long enough, we would see Him standing there with ties of unmeasurable love!

Far from a scolding for wanting to do things on our own, He instead leads us gently to a quiet place where the heat of the sun doesn't tire anymore. Where He takes our face in His hands, dries our tears and says, 'My son, I will carry your load.' There He takes our yoke that has burdened us for so long. That yoke that we've carried around making us slaves to pain that leads no where. 

When we hand over the load that He is so willing to carry for us, we will be given the life that was intended for us. A life where the only overwhelming thing is His peace and grace showering us each day. 

Prayer

Father, thank you so much for noticing me when I needed you most. Your love for me I will never be able to comprehend. Thank you for giving me life and peace in knowing that you are the One that carries my load, when I can't.

Amen.

No comments: