1/31/2012

Put, put, put your love glasses ON!!

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13: 34-35



One of the hardest thing for me to succeed at in my spiritual walk with God is loving others as He does. I find it very easy to love those who love me. However, those who hurt, annoy me, and cause my heart to beat faster than it should, then make my eyes roll around as if I was having an exorcism, I find very hard to show my love as God has commanded me to do.

One day listening to Bekah Shae's song "put your love glasses on," I realized I wear my love glasses only 60% of the time. Now that's how much time I think I wear them, but I wonder how much time I truly wear them, and only God know's how long. I can confess that putting them on takes much longer than taking them off. When encountered by a rude sales person, or uncivilized shopper at the store, or a "rookie driver,"  I will take those love glasses off quicker than you can say, "Hello!"

My love glasses should not take that fast to come off, instead, they should remain on because God has commanded me to love one another. It is hard, but it is not impossible. So, I challanged myself to keep those love glasses on each time I encountered a difficult person. I have witnessed great results. I will be honest, I caved in and messed up a few times, but I jumped back up as soon as possible, and tried again. I'll share one expirience with you. About a week ago, I called an office and left a message with the receptionist. She told me I would get a call back. I waited that entire day and the next, and I still had not recieved a returned call. I called again, asking if the person I left the message for had recieved my message or was available to speak to. The receptionist got offended and said, "I gave her the message, and it takes 2 days for a returned call!" However, her tone was not pretty! I was ready to take my love glasses off, but left them on and very politley said, "Okay, no problem I will wait for a call back." The receptionist then replied, "Oh, or I can check if she is available, hold for just a second please(in a much nicer tone.)" I was suprised at how being kind when someone is being rude, can truly change the entire conversation from tense to relaxed.

God knew what He was talking about when He inspired these wise words through King Solomon, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

I leave you to take the challange. Number one, it is a command. Number two, can you say No to God? Number three, saying you love God is like a man saying He loves his wife, but if He does not show her with actions, those words are worth nothing. So back up your, "I love you, GOD," with actions that really show Him you mean it! And last but not least, like the cartoon portrays, do not let your anger towards someone, place a wall that blocks God out too. He does not abide in a house where hate and anger live.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.
Enjoy the video that inspired me to take on this challange. Beckah Shae, "Put your love glasses on."

No comments: